Friday, September 20, 2013

An out-of-season talk about Summer

There came the sudden gush of wind and, alas! My hair was entangled than ever, my skirt flew halfway to the point that "forbidden land" are just inches away from bare, and my eyes teared from the invisible enemy's dust. Ah, such are scenarios of Summer days when you live in the rural areas of Antipolo.

Yes, in this place where roads are not all concrete and muddy slopes rule the place in rainy days; and dusty, cowboy-film-like grounds during Summer. But the heat is not always the main character during the dry season, for the breeze occasionally makes a guest appearance. It can be so steamy during mid-day, but still, as if granting mercy to the earthlings, summer breeze will blow. And that explains why I have to check on my hair and hold down my skirt.

Oh yes, Summer. It is in this season when I feel so satisfied when I complain about the heat everyday. But the summer breeze made me realize how narrow and naive I am. I've understood that the heat is an essential part of life, and no one can actually complain because it's natural for the temperatures to shoot up in this time of year.

But why do I incessantly complain and even end up blaming my madness and irritability to the sun? Well, because it was great. It's a great, mean feeling when you look for something to blame for your own ill-mannered tendencies. "It's because of this heat, blah, blah, blah." And you can get away with your attitude because Summer is to blame.

But Summer is not always treated as a culprit. I eagerly wait for summer because at last I can hit the beach, or I can do various outdoor activities without much hassle, and some people look forward to it so they can don their new-purchased bikinis and finally, they can hit the beach without worrying about sea accidents related to gigantic waves and rising water levels. Add to that the fruits this season offer - juicy, sweet, and tropical mouthfuls which I can eat raw, make shakes from, or experiment on.

Summer must have also been smart. It knows that the beach is good for me that's why its heat keeps on nagging me to go out for the resorts. The ocean water can detoxify the body and the sound of the waves is a serious stress buster. But just be reminded to apply your sunblock as often as needed, because still, summer can be harsh however thoughtful it may be.

During summer, I might keep cursing because I sweat all over and five minutes after I've hydrated myself I feel thirsty again. But, aside from the beach, I also enjoy Summer because of the afternoon breeze.

Ah. I can hear the wind's whisper. It seemed so peaceful, that afternoon breeze that tickles my cheeks. Reminds me that summer is not always harsh. Summer was required to be hot, but it tries to make it up for me through letting the soft breeze blow, except that dust still gets in my eyes. But breeze is better than none during this season, so I'll bear with the dust.

But again, be sure to apply sunblock because Summer heat is really unforgiving.

People, like Summer, can also be harsh, but they sure have qualities that will remind me of the soft summer breeze and the sensation of the beach. I guess I can look for those qualities so I can stop complaining about their attitudes. Just like Summer, their surface will certainly be rough, but somewhere deep down is gentleness.

What I need to do is adjust, much like the way that I loved Summer but I had to apply sunblock. Because, just like Summer, I can get mad at the person, but I can't possibly drive that person out of my life. As seasons come with little or no delay, that person will always stay. My final resolution? Just endure the heat.

No comments: